Sunday, February 10, 2008

Running a red light

There's an adrenaline surge as I race down Rose Hill towards Telegraph, knowing that perfect timing is imperative. Either I'll beat the red light and possibly match my better time (about 35 minutes for this 4-1/2 mile run) or STOP completely, for at least a minute or two. I can see the light from the top of the hill. It's red, then green, and I'm running, running, running hard. I'm so close now, if it changes I'm going anyway. I nod to the waiting cars at the 4-way intersection, not knowing whether anyone actually sees me. I don't care, it's too late. Caution and sound judgment elude me. The unbridled racer in me -- the primordial essence that outruns the savage beast -- rises to the challenge of a changing traffic light, and I'm safely across the road. Whew.

No comments: