Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Origins of an ancient trail

If you drive south on Telegraph Road from Alexandria, you'll come across several intersecting streets marked "Old Telegraph Road." It is likely that these roads traverse the original trail used to lay telegraph wire from Washington to New Orleans in 1847 (I've been doing a little research). During the Civil War, this telegraph line was apparently used by Confederate forces supporting their blockade of the Potomac River, and then, later, by Union occupational troops. The telegraph wires allowed swift communication between allies, but could also be easily severed by enemy forces.

Today, Telegraph Road bears a heavy burden of commuters who live outside the beltway but whose work requires that they head north (towards Washington, D.C.). "The Great Divide" is what I once heard a South Alexandria resident call the beltway. From the intersection of Franconia Road & Telegraph, the Masonic Temple is clearly visible and appears to be only about a mile away. And yet, it can easily take 20 minutes to get there by car on a rainy Monday morning.

Some of the challenges I've created for myself in my mostly-suburban neighborhood (just off Telegraph Road, roughly at the Franconia intersection) are to find new and innovative ways to traverse the Great Divide, make peace with the communicators, enjoy the outdoors, and explore this little parcel of the planet. I've already stumbled upon some jewels (some of them probably best kept as secrets, since I don't like noise in my 9/11 garden sanctuary (unless it's coming from birds), nor do I want my short-cut home from work clogged up with too many cars. It turns out there's a horse farm in my backyard; a Fairfax County trail ripe with raspberries in early summer (I often spot deer there when I'm out running); and a hidden playground for my 3-year-old. Too bad there's not a coffee shop and an independent book store on the corner. :)

Anyway... I plan to share my continued discoveries with my fellow travelers"Telegraphers"), whether you live in my immediate neighborhood, up the Foot Path a bit, or out in the larger community. Any uncovered secrets you may have -- whether places to visit just off of Telegraph road (or a main street in your own community), historical tidbits, or personal experiences getting around your own equadrant on foot or bike -- are encouraged. Please feel free to comment and post freely.

Over the wire,
Beth

No comments: